Assessing the Value of Your Trunk
Are you looking to purchase an antique steamer trunk or perhaps sell one that has been in your family for a few generations? If so, there are a few things you need to keep in mind that will help you make the most money. I must say that these tips are general suggestions and before selling anything you may want to consider having it professionally appraised.
- Louis Vuitton trunks tend to be worth a lot of money. Some of them go for as much as $15,000-$30,000 dollars. Even if you have one that is on the less expensive side there is a very good chance that it is worth at least a couple thousand dollars. If you find yourself at a garage sale and you see a trunk with an LV or Louis Vuitton on it and it has a low price tag, you may want to pick it up.
- Goyard steamer trunks are sometimes worth a couple thousand dollars and are worth an appraisal if you happen to have or find one.
- Jenny Lind is a steamer trunk manufacturer from the 1800s, while they do not carry the same value as a Vuitton or Goyard they are usually worth a few hundred dollars.
- Steamer trunks with a rounded top or dome top are generally worth more than those with a flat-top.
- If you happen to have the key that came with the trunk that adds value. Although the value that it adds is under $25.00 dollars unless it’s a Vuitton key which will add around $50.00 dollars in value.
- If your steamer trunk is in poor shape it is generally a better idea to restore it, rather than trying to sell it. Original trunks and ones that are refurbished have similar value but damaged trunks are much lower.
- The wooden frame is one of the more important parts of the trunk. If that is badly damaged repair will be difficult if not impossible.
If you look closely at the photo you can see an example of the LV logo a Louis Vuitton trunk may have.
These are a few basic suggestions to help you get an idea of what your trunk may be worth. Of course, anything can alter the value of your trunk from condition to manufacturer. If you do have a steamer trunk and you want to uncover the value you can try checking eBay for similar models. It is important to remember though that just because someone has it posted for a price doesn’t mean it will sell for that price. People find treasures in other people’s trash every day and now that you know a little more about steamer trunks maybe you can find a treasure during garage sale season.